Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Curses Are Impossible (Mostly)

In an earlier post I mentioned that it was impossible to effectively curse someone without risking negative consequences. I don't believe this because of the "threefold law". I don't believe in the threefold law. It wasn't originally a real part of Wicca and only exists because of a misinterpretation of a passage in a book written by Gerald Gardner. However, I still believe that a person causing harm can cause harm to come to that person, if only because society has a taste for justice and revenge.

I don't believe in instrumental magic. This means I don't believe there is a force called "magic" that causes spells to work. Rather I think that magic reprograms a person's conscious and unconscious mind so that they pursue their goal more single-mindedly (especially if they believe that the spell will work).

Since every spell requires mundane actions in order to work, you can't curse someone from a distance, unless that curse makes you more single-minded in your intentions to harm that person. There is no way to deliberately harm a person that does not risk some form of justice or revenge, so I feel such an action would be foolish.

Another way to curse someone might be to utter a curse to their face. This wouldn't necessarily work unless the person believed in instrumental magic though.

You can't just write a curse down, and then consider someone cursed. Magick doesn't work like that. It requires mundane actions in order to work. There may be no threefold law, but people don't take kindly to being harmed. This is why I do not curse.

No comments:

Post a Comment