Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Loki vs. Mordechai: How My Gods Met the Establishment

In an earlier post, I talked about how I invented my own gods as a child. These gods weren't like traditional gods in the sense that they didn't go around committing blatantly evil acts. However, I can't remember giving them any mythology, so I decided I would give them a mythology that integrated preexisting gods, and showed the similarities and differences between my heroes and the villains of past pantheons. Here is their first story:

Mordechai was a god of magic who could warp reality to his will. One day he met a young man and asked what he called himself.

"Teacher" the man responded simply.

"Try showing this in your lessons" Mordechai replied. "I'm going to restart the universe."

"I don't believe that." the teacher replied.

"What?" Mordechai asked. No one had ever doubted him before.

"I don't believe you can do it. I think it's impossible."

"Oh really? Well, watch this!" Mordechai snapped his fingers, but nothing happened.

"Damn it..." Mordechai muttered. "You broke my confidence!"

"Did I? Are you sure it just so happened to not be possible? Magic can't do everything you know."

"Yes it can!" Mordechai insisted.

"How?" the teacher asked.

"Belief." Mordechai replied. "You can do anything if you believe you can. You broke my belief and therefore the spell."

"Bullshit..." the teacher muttered.

"I'll prove it!" Mordechai exclaimed. He swiftly proved his words by conjuring a duck out of thin air. "That wasn't a magic trick. Nothing up my sleeve, see?"

"Perhaps magic can do some things, but it rarely does everything." the teacher responded.

"Rarely?"

"Oh yes. In my universe, it can do a lot, but it can't resurrect the dead usually. Not without my daughter's permission anyway. She's Queen of the Dead."

"Oh interesting." Mordechai replied. "Me and Myriadne don't deal with death. We've never met a dead person."

"No death? No war? Nothing negative?" the teacher asked.

"Why should we? What's the good in that?"

"You can't solve problems unless you're willing to deal with negative things. Doesn't it get boring here, all alone in your own plane?"

"Plane?"

"There are others. Other worlds I mean. That's where I come from."

"I can assure you that this "plane" as you call it isn't just me. I also have my sister, Myriadne, and the rest of our family. We deal with pleasant things, like love. No negativity necessary."

"I doubt you deal with real love at all. Real love has a huge dark side."

"If what you call love has a dark side I doubt it's worth dealing with then. Nothing negative is."

"Even if you do have a family, doesn't it get boring just dealing with them? Wouldn't you like to meet some other gods?"

"Certainly." Mordechai replied.

The teacher opened a portal took Mordechai and his sister Myriadne to another plane, where he introduced him to a god named Dionysus. Dionysus introduced Myriadne to wine, and she went mad immediately. She hadn't even had that much. She must have had some kind of allergy.

"Can you do something?!" Mordechai asked the teacher and Dionysus alarmed.

The teacher just shrugged. "Seems to be enjoying herself." Dionysus said.

"You've turned my beautiful sister into a wreck!" Mordechai shouted. "I should have known better than to deal with the two of you!"

"The effects will wear off." Dionysus assured him.

Wear off they did, but not before Mordechai led Myriadne back to their own plane. The teacher accompanied them, letting them back into their own plane by opening another portal.

"That was quite an adventure, but I desire no more such excitement." Mordechai said curtly. "I think you best be going."

"Fine." the teacher replied, shrugging. He opened another portal and left.

Things in Mordechai's world went swimmingly until Myriadne suddenly went mad again, trying to propose marriage to Mordechai and not taking no for an answer. Mordechai set out to hunt down whoever was responsible, and found it was Cupid.

"How did you get in here?" Mordechai snarled.

"There was an open portal." Cupid replied simply.

The teacher had apparently not bothered to close the portals he'd opened. Mordechai ordered Cupid out of his plane, and closed the portals with magic. All was well.

But Myriadne wasn't satisfied. She missed Cupid and Dionysus and wanted to invite them back in. Mordechai gave her a firm no. She continued to complain until Mordechai promised to marry her if she shut up. This satisfied her.

One day, Mordechai spotted the teacher walking among some flowers.

"I thought I got rid of you." Mordechai grumbled.

"I decided to come back." the teacher replied casually. "There isn't a law against that, is there?"

"Perhaps I'll make one."

"Are you the god of law?"

"Laws haven't been necessary thus far, but perhaps I'll have to make some." Mordechai replied. "What's your business here today?"

"I came to warn you about Ares." the teacher replied. "He's invading with his armies. Came through the portal I just opened."

"Don't you ever close portals?"

The teacher just shrugged.

With the teacher's help, Mordechai and Myriadne created an action plan to stop the armies. Mordechai and Myriadne birthed an army of their own, and with the help of the teacher's war strategy, drove Ares' armies back into their own plane.

"Next time, close the portal behind you." Mordechai snapped at the teacher when it was all over. "Thank you for helping us."

"Any time." the teacher replied. He was about to open another portal to leave, one that Mordechai most definitely planned on closing, when Mordechai asked "Oh, by the way, do you have a name?"

"Loki." the teacher replied.

After Loki left, Mordechai and Myriadne decided that to defend themselves against gods from other realms, they had no choice but to deal with the negative. Their gods of love incorporated darker aspects of love into their domain, such as possessiveness, and Mordechai added war strategy to his own portfolio. Myriadne, previously a generic queen, became a goddess of ecstasy and madness akin to Dionysus. The family of Mordechai and Myriadne figured that if they took over negative domains first, they'd stand a better chance of defending themselves against gods from other worlds.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment